– 16th century lute music
Explaining something about the lute and the different forms of lute music in the 16th century.
– A Lesson in Polyphony
Taking a two part intabulation by Fuenllana as a lesson in how to play polyphony on a lute.
– Continuo Playing on Baroque Lute
A series of lessons.
– How to Study
An article about good study habits.
A series of lute lessons inspired by the teachings of Zen. In these lessons I try to establish a school of lutedō: the Way of the Lute.
– Zen in the Art of Lute Playing
– Cultivating the Flower. Zeami on lute playing.
– Lute Recipes by Dōgen.
– Genjōkōan – Realising Music Through Lute Playing.
– The Sound of Silence – Ma in Music.
– Zen in the Art of Listening
– Walking the Music
– One moment of Music– The Kōan of Playing Lute
– Calculating String Tensions
Explaining the why and how of calculating strings for lutes. Again, theory followed by practical advice.
– String Choice
Some thoughts on why it makes sense to use historical strings on an historical instrument.
– Mean-tone temperament for lute
To better understand a little of the mathematics behind mean-tone temperament, but most of al to have a practical DIY-guide how to tune your lute to mean-tone temperament.
– Pythagorean temperament for lute
A DIY-guide to tune your lute to Pythagorean temperament.
For more writings, go to Writings.